Sunday, October 13, 2013

I met Boyz II Men

For my birthday, my girlfriend and another friend put me in a car, blindfolded me, and drove me to the airport.  The entire ride they made fun of me, asking if I knew where I was, or if I had guessed where we were going.  I hadn't, of course, since, you know, I couldn't see.  She told me to pack a bag and bring a toothbrush, so naturally I thought we were staying somewhere overnight in Denver.  And so my shock when the blindfold was removed and I found myself staring at the entrance of the airport.

"Do you know where we're going yet," my girlfriend asked me?  I did not, but I had an inkling.  I found out I was right when we printed out the tickets: Las Vegas.  But I still didn't know why.  When we landed, she asked and I told her I still hadn't guessed.  We got outside, assaulted by the thick Las Vegas heat, and grabbed a shuttle to The Mirage hotel.  And then it clicked.  I knew, you see, that Boyz II Men was performing at that very hotel, but when she asked, I only said that I think I knew, and that I'd wait to see if I was right.

I was.  

Motown Suits
The first time I heard Yesterday by Boyz II Men changed the way I looked at music.  I'm sure it was not the first a capella song I had ever heard, but it is the first one I remember.  It is a beautiful song that I had long attributed to Boyz II Men, only later learning that theirs was not the original version.  Covers wasn't in my vocabulary when I heard it.  Since hearing that song, one of my dreams, and if I had a bucket list this would have been on it, was to hear Boyz II Men sing the Temptation's "My Girl."  When they released the album Motown Hitsville (vol 1), I read the tracklist and was disappointed to see that particular cover was not a part of the cd.  But that night, on May 11th, in the Mirage hotel, sitting three rows from the stage next to the woman I love, Boyz II Men came out in oldschool gold Temptation style suits, started doing the shoop and wing, and opened the Motown portion of the show with My Girl.  
This happened.  Right in front of me. 
It was, quite literally, a dream come true.  It was an amazing night that I will never forget.  I think back on it constantly.  I would go see them again, would love to go see them again, if the opportunity comes up.  But I will always remember that birthday because it was so unexpected.  

And after the show, when I was smiling and sad it had ended,  I was ready to go back up to the hotel room.  So, I asked +Sandy if she was ready to go.  She grabbed my arm, pulled me down and said, "We're not finished yet."

And so I sat down, wondering what more there could possibly be.  We waited for 20 minutes or so for the room to clear out, and then we left and went to an area to the side of the entrance where there was another line forming.  We were going to meet Boyz II Men.

I can't type those words without breaking in to a huge grin.   I got to meet Boyz II Men.  In fact, I gave Shawn a huge, awkward hug. 

It was, by far, the best birthday I've ever had.  And one of the best days I've ever had.  So when I sat down to type this blog, it was the first thing that came to mind. Thanks, babe.  Best birthday ever. 

I fit right in. 




No comments: