Monday, September 24, 2007

Yay for English class.

I have an idiotic English instructor.

On the first day of class she showed up 45 minutes late. She had no materials with her. She said that she would email the syllabus and first assignment to us. Three days later I still had no email.

On the second class we had a writing assignment that I turned into her. I handed it to her, she took the paper from me.

The next week she told me that I didn't give her anything. After reminding her that I had in fact done exactly this, she admitted that she might have, just possibly, put it in a folder with another class.

Huzzah.

On this same day, we had peer editing for an essay due that day. I am not sure why exactly we have an essay due on the same day that we are supposed to edit it in class. I am not the brains of this operation. But this is how it is done. 3 hours of peer editing. One student told me that my opinion isn't clear in my essay. Another told me that my critical analysis of MLK's "Letter From Birmingham Jail" was too much like a critical analysis. They meant it as a bad thing; I ignored them all and took the essay home and changed some things that I had noticed. I emailed the teacher the essay at 5:31pm that Saturday.

The next week the teacher had not graded it. She also had not recorded my grade for the in class writing assignment.

This week I got both back. A 100 on my essay, a 98 on my in class writing. Apparently I can write. But I'm still going to have 3 hour classes of other students telling me things contrary to this. Now this is fine since we have to. But I don't think any of us students should be going over another's paper, especially not with an intent to correct something. Giving me an opinion on a topic sentence or something would be fine. My thesis isn't clear. Hey, thanks. But what a waste of 3 hours of my life to have somebody tell me that I should have "I" in my essay much more and that my analysis is too much of an analysis.

I love school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is FANTASTIC. School is teh weak sause. Untill you start making lots of money, anyways. lol